By Steve Brawley
3307 N Street, NW. This is the townhouse that Jack
bought as a gift to Jackie after she gave birth to their daughter Caroline
in the fall of 1957. The family lived here when JFK started his campaign
for the Presidency. The 4 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom house was built in 1811 and has 4,000 square feet.
They stayed in this home until January 1961 when the new First Couple and their two children moved to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Pictures of their home life on N. Street taken by photographers Eve Arnold, Mark Shaw and Jacques Lowe were often used during the campaign.
The Kennedy's reportedly sold the house in March of 1961 to Perry Ausbrook, an attorney, for $105,000. They purchased the house for $70,000.
Records indicate the house was sold by Maria De Hancock in
2004 to Vincent J. Greski and Carmen W. Knight for a reported $3.3 million. The house underwent extensively remodeling in 2001.
The house had a little patio out back like at Dent Place, where JFK would hold meetings and Caroline would play.
After his election as President, JFK would hold press
conferences on the front steps of he and Jackie's Georgetown residence.
Jackie's sister Lee and the other sister - Sister Parish would serve as Jackie's decorating partners at the N. Street House.
Jackie joked her house leaned a little
bit and people joked that Jack was a prisoner of "beige" referring to Jackie's
decor choices (that changed often). Most of their N Street furniture wound up in
their WH private quarters, and some to New York's 1040 then off to
It was on the front steps of the house that JFK held press briefings about his cabinet appointments.
Since the house was sold in 1961, Jackie could not return here after the President's death. She purchased a nearby house in 1964 and then quickly moved to New York that summer to escape the hoards of tourists driving by her home day and night.